Move and pen cattle, take care of the horses and play Gymkhana games
Shawnee, CO (Feb. 27, 2014) – Grab your hat and boots, mix one part working dude ranch and one part active Colorado outdoor lifestyle, and get ready to explore your inner Cowboy/Cowgirl. You’ll experience the best of both worlds – a fun-filled, activity-packed all-inclusive Colorado dude and guest ranch vacation.
“Some guests want to work with the cattle or horses during their vacation and we have ranches that deliver on this experience,” says Colorado Dude & Guest Ranch Executive Director Courtney Frazier. “Each ranch offers something different, so our guests can tailor their visit to their specific needs.”
Traditional ranches offer the following working ranch experiences:
1. Cattle Drives, Penning and Ranch Work:
Guests get the chance to be real cowboys and help with ranch chores; moving cattle one pasture to another to prevent over-grazing and preserve the land; and penning cattle.
- Zapata Ranch – Experience the full range daily ranch work. Join ranch cowboys as they monitor herd health, check and fix fence, irrigate farmland, assess pasture conditions, and perform any number of other activities required on a working ranch. The ranch also functions as a preservation for both Bison and cattle.
- Sylvan Dale Ranch – Participate in ranch chores; round up and drive cattle; harness, hitch, and drive the draft horses; and learn about equine massage.
- High Lonesome Ranch – Experience a taste of real cowboy life by taking part in the moving cattle for pasture rotation and assisting to see if any of the cattle require any special attention.
- Laramie River Ranch – Help cattle which are gathered twice a week and ‘team pen’. The ranch also offers all-day cattle herding opportunities to help neighbors work their much larger herds.
2. Gymkhana Games: Let the competition begin! Gymkhanas, known as games on horseback are fun, timed events that involve a starting point, a finish line and some sort of “obstacle” to get through. It’s a fun time for the participants, audience and the horses!
3. Horseback Riding: There is nothing more relaxing and fun than letting a well-trained horse take you into the Colorado high country. But trail riding is just one way to enjoy horses at Colorado ranches.
In addition to the activities listed above, Colorado’s dude and guest ranches offer Horsemanship Weeks, Rodeo Weeks, Weanling Weeks, Cowgirl Camps. Guests also have a number of activities to choose from such as fishing gold medal rivers, rafting class 2 – 5 rivers, hiking Colorado’s national forests, rock climbing to majestic views, mountain biking scenic trails, and more. And, many ranches offer extensive children’s programs that will keep the kid’s entertained for hours.
The Colorado Dude & Guest Ranch Association (CDGRA) is comprised of 26 certified ranches located throughout the mountains and mesas of Colorado. For more information and/or request your free Colorado Dude & Guest Ranch vacation guide and DVD visit www.coloradoranch.com.